Hi there,

Can you believe you're only days away from taking ownership of your new home?! Now that the countdown has begun, it's time to take care of any outstanding details and to prepare for the meeting at my office.

What to bring when you come to see me:

You need to bring the following documents to your appointment:

  • A bank draft covering both the closing costs and your down payment (By now, my office should have notified you as to the amount of the closing costs; the draft should be made out to "Mark Graham Law Office in Trust.").
  • Two pieces of identification (ID) (See below for acceptable types of ID.).
  • A voided personal cheque for the account from which the mortgage payments will come OR a bank-issued Pre-Authorized Payment (PAP) form, stamped by the teller (See below for important details.).
  • A copy of your Binder letter or Certificate of Insurance from your insurance agent (Bring only if it has not already been sent to me by your insurance agent.).

What kind of cheque is acceptable?

  • The cheque from the account from which mortgage payments will be made must be a personal cheque with your name printed on it.


We cannot accept the OHIP card as proof of your identification!
It is illegal for any non-allied health care professional to accept the OHIP card for identification purposes (except for the Highway Traffic Act, I make a it a practice not to break any other Laws in Canada), please bring other identification as outlined below.

What kind of ID is acceptable? 
 The first piece of ID must be a government-issued photo ID such as:

  • A valid driver's license issued by a Canadian province or territory.
  • An Ontario Photo Card.
  • A Canadian Permanent Residence card or Citizenship and Immigration Canada Form IMM1000 or IMM1442.
  • A Certificate of Canadian Citizenship or Certification of Naturalization.
  • A current Canadian passport.
  • A Certificate of Indian Status issued by the Government of Canada.
  • A federally issued Firearms License: the Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC) or the new Posession and Acquisition License (PAL).

The second piece of ID can be any of the above-listed government-issued photo ID or one of the following:

  • A Social Insurance Number (SIN) card issued by the government of Canada.
  • A birth certificate issued in Canada.
  • A Visa or MasterCard credit card from a Canadian bank (must have your name imprinted on it).
  • An employee identity card with a photograph from an employer well-known in the community.
  • A signed automated banking machine card or client card issued by a Canadian Bank.
  • A signed CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind) client card with a photograph.

Finally, I'd also like to remind you, in case you have not already done so, to:

  • Ensure that all of your utilities will be hooked up at your new location (A list of handy links was sent to you in a previous e-mail.).
  • Arrange with your realtor for a final walk-through of your new property to ensure nothing has changed (If it has, contact me immediately!).
  • Notify friends, service-providers and the government of your new address. (A handy change of address checklist was sent to you in a previous e-mail.).

I hope this e-mail has equipped you with everything you need to make closing day the fun, exciting day it should be! Please contact us if you have any last-minute questions or concerns, by e-mail: mark@grahamlaw.ca or by phone: 519-824-7100.

Kind regards,

Mark F. Graham

Mark F. Graham
Barrister, Solicitor, Public Notary
Mark Graham Law Office Professional Corporation